Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Look Mum, No Layers!!

OMG that was way harder than I thought!! Oh how I longed for just one layer!
In case you hadn't guessed I'm referring to my efforts for Mel's No Layers Challenge. I've made four cards which have no layers at all...one hell of a feat!
This first one is the one I have chosen to submit for the challenge... The technique i've used is bleaching. I started with a peice of pretty in pink card stock (thanks Vicki!), I then stamped the teddy from Bundle of Joy with versamark and added dazzling diamonds with heat and stick powder (thanks Dannie! - in case you're wondering I went stamping with the girls with very little supplies so had to go on the scab!). I then stamped the backgound (stars & moons whicha are a little hard to see) in pretty in pink and stamped the welcome in rose red shadowed in whisper white. I then bleached out the teddy image with a bleach filled aqua painter. Some pink gingham ribbon added the finishing touch. Here it is...

here's a close up of the teddy...

This next one is a case of the fabulous artist Michelle Zindorf (as per the SCS rules for casing my 2 changes were to use a different bird, and off course no layers - hers had several!). If you haven't already checked out her work do yourself a favour - there's nothing she cant do with a Brayer and sponge!

Believe it or not I actually don't mind this next card - it's probably my favourite of the four, but I didn't enter it because the stamp set is retired and I know Mel prefers to stick to current SU! only. How I did this was to stamp the main image, make an oval mask to go around it, then watercolour it. I then reverse masked the image and used the brayer to colour the background with Blue Bayou ink. I then scored 1/2" around the edges and went over the score with a white gel pen. I then tediously stamped the verse along the bottom in black (the verse stamp is four lines - so I used the marker to ink one line at a time and samj to line it up along the bottom).

This last card I made whist stamping with Dannie & Vicki today (waving girls!). I really don't like it that much but I thought I show it anyway...

Well Mel, I hope you like them, now I'm off to make a card with heaps and heaps of layers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great job, Kaz, I will use the teddy as your entry.

Debbie M said...

Wow these are fantastic - you certainly did a much better job than I did, with sticking to the rules, and they are awsome! Especially love the two centre ones, the blue ones.

Debbie M