Thursday, February 26, 2009

Memories Project - ***PLEASE READ***

This looks like lots of text with no pretty cards...but please read...

As you are all aware the Victorian bush fire tragedy has caused significant hardship and heartache for thousands of people. As a consequence of losing homes, many people have lost everything of value, and included in this are their personal memories in the form of photograph albums and keepsakes.

Sarah Gladman, a well known talented Australian scrapbook artist, has initiated a project to collect and distribute Scrapbook albums, including a number of pre-made pages (5 -10 in each), to these families in need. The aim is to provide at least one album to each of the over 1000 families that have lost their homes and possessions. It is anticipated that those receiving them will be able to ask their families and friends for suitable replacement photos they may have to populate these pages and thus recreate, to some extent, their losses.

I am very pleased to announce my plans to join in this project having pledged a group donation of 50 layouts. I am opening my house on Saturday 7th March for anyone who would like to come along and use my supplies to make scrapbook layouts to donate, you can come for an hour or for the whole day, my aim is just for us to make a significant contribution. As I said I have pledged 50 layouts to Sarah, but would be stoked if I can get enough help to make it 100!!

I also feel very proud and privileged to be associated with such a caring community minded organisation such as Stampin' Up! who are supporting me in this endeavor by a charitable donation of retired product! How great is that! Today I received a big box of supplies, including heaps of papers, card stock and simply scrappin' kits to help us make some great layouts to donate. And there's even a few things that will be given as door prizes to those that come along!

If you don't live in the Newcastle area but you'd still like to participate, you can make layouts and either post them to me or drop them off at one of the collection points that Sarah has arranged at scrapbook stores across the country. Check out her blog here for those locations.

I think this is an awesome project, a very heartfelt way to support the victims of this tragedy. If you have some time spare on Saturday 7th March and you'd like to come along and help, please email me.

I'll be back to post some of my sample layouts as soon as I can.

No comments: